Version 0.16: One of Our Biggest Updates Yet
2 years ago
It’s finally here! The moment you’ve been waiting for! Grab a chair and sit down. We’re about to announce one of our biggest Vectr features. Your knees will be weak and you’ll be sweating profusely from excitement after hearing this news. Or is that just us?
1. Curves (aka Bezier Editing)
No, you’re not dreaming. No, we won’t pinch you. After months of working hard on a way to draw curves with Vectr, you’ll finally be able to do it in this version! Your designs are about to be taken to the next level.
To use this powerful new feature, simply double-click on a path in the board. All path points in your selection will show up, so double-click on the one you’d like to edit. A red line, connecting two control points to the middle path point, will appear. Click and drag any of the points on the red line for your desired design. It’s as simple as that! Simple yet powerful.
Layers on layers on layers! The first version of layers is quite basic, but we wanted to get this feature out as soon as possible since it’d be handy in your designs. The editor now has tabs for selections, layers, and pages.
The Selections tab is where you can apply filters to your paths. The Pages tab has preview boxes of the pages in your file through as well as a section to adjust page settings. Both the selections and pages tabs are not new to the editor; the layers tab, however, is a whole new world. In the Layers tab, for now, you can:
- Sort. Paths are arranged from the frontmost to the backmost layer in a list from top to bottom, respectively. This list will show every path or text in your page as a layer box. When a path or text is selected, their corresponding layer box will be highlighted by a light grey lines on the right of the layer box. Sort them into different arrangements by dragging and dropping the path or text boxes into their preferred positions.
- Lock. To make sure your path remains in place and doesn’t accidentally get selected in the board, check the lock box. A small lock will appear in that box when a layer is locked.
- Hide. Hide a path by unchecking its corresponding layer box. When a layer box is checked, it means it is visible in the page.
Layers are still a work-in-progress. We have a lot of exciting functions planned for this feature. In the coming months, we’ll be adding more functions such as:
- Search and filter. Dealing with layers in a complex design can be a huge pain in the behind. We’re going to make it easy for you with different ways to search and filter your layers, so you can design efficiently without wasting time.
- Overlapping layers panel. There’s no right or wrong way to use layers – every designer uses layers in their own way. Some use it to meticulously organize every single layer, while others use it to re-arrange the stacking order of elements. For the latter group, an overlapping layers panel will be their new best friend. This panel will show selected layers as well as any layer overlapping with the ones selected, which will help you focus on only the layers relevant to the stacking order.
- Dimensions. Sometimes, you want to set your selection’s width, height, x-position, y-position at an exact number. A quick and intuitive way to do so will be made available in a panel for setting layer dimensions (i.e., the dimensions of what you’ve selected), this’ll be quick and intuitive.
- Groups. The ability to group layers is vital to making complex designs easier to create.
3. Unsaved Data Notification
Changes to your designs are automatically saved and synced. But just in case you decide to leave your designs before Vectr has finished backing it up, an unsaved data notification will pop up on your screen. It’s just another way to ensure your designs are safe.
4. Saved Grid/Unit Settings
Designs are either drawn with a grid or not. It’s up t your individual preference, and only you know what you like the best. Before this update, you’d always need to adjust your grid and unit settings for each new file. Not anymore! You’ll now be able to start a fresh design without setting your preferred grid and unit settings since your preferences will be saved from your previous file. Isn’t life getting easier?
5. Increased Speed
Performance optimization is a huge priority for us. You have things to do, designs to create, and all of this takes time. We want to speed things up for you so you can design as efficiently as possible. In this version, we focused on increasing the speed for two things:
- Profile page loading. Previously, whenever you opened up Vectr, each file preview box would load individually. This isn’t a problem if you have a few files, but if you have more, then the loading time would begin to add up. After this update, all files preview boxes will load at the same time. Letting you start your designs faster than ever.
- Undo/redo loading. Whenever you undo/redo something the previous action may take a while to load. Lag no more! We’ve made it so that undo/redo’s occur instantly!
6. Bug Fixes
Per usual, we’ve fixed many bugs for this version. We’re still working on the problem with our server crashes, but stability has improved and we’ll get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.
Learn more about all these new features in the User Guide. We have a lot more to look forward to (including a brand new site makeover), so stay tuned! If you’re curious about what else is in store for Vectr, check out our roadmap. Per usual, continue giving us your feedback and suggestions by reaching out to us! We love hearing from you. Don’t be shy! See you in a couple weeks!